recommendations for public webstation printers

Michael Gonsalves mgonsalv at hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 6 13:52:59 EST 1996

David,

I think your suggestion is a very practical one, but I'm concerned about
the impact it would have on the "have-nots."  We are all too familiar
with the disparity between the "haves" and the "have-nots" when it comes
to income and wealth. A similar disparity may (does/will?) exist with
respect to information.  The library already is a great equalizer in the
realm of printed information.  I think it should serve the same role for
electronic information.

For the sake of those who do not have their own computers and printers,
we should provide printers for our internet stations, with nominal fees
to cover supplies.  But I really like your idea of encouraging people to
read things on-line, too.

Mike Gonsalves
mgonsalv at hawaii.edu or
mgonsalv at uhunix.its.hawaii.edu