Netscape as Windows shell

Bill Moseley moseley at netcom.com
Sun Jun 30 12:37:59 EDT 1996

At 09:10 AM 6/30/96 -0700, Mark Cyzyk wrote:

>I am having a problem:  I would like to use Netscape as my windows shell AND I
>would also like to load/run some programs/batch files from within win.ini upon
>bootup.  However, if Netscape is my shell, the items I list in win.ini do not
>load.  Can they only be loaded if progman.exe is my shell?  Does anyone know a
>way around this?

Right, the load= and run= lines are read by the shell program, so if you use
Netscape as the shell then they won't be run.  We had this problem with some
security software that was a replacement Windows shell, and therefore we
couldn't load programs this way.

I assume that you are running Windows from some type of DOS menu program, so
you would like to run Netscape and then exit.  (Otherwise, exiting from
Netscape would dump you to the C:\ prompt.)

How about creating an empty Program Manager interface (a progman.ini w/o any
.grp files), add the Program Manager restrictions to limit access to the
File menu and run "win netscpae.exe" to run it directly.  Or create a
Program Manager group that only contain Netscape - this way if they closed
Netscape by mistake they would have to go all the way back to the DOS menu
to run it again.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley at netcom.com