Excite free search engine software ?

chris at sparkie.osl.state.or.us chris at sparkie.osl.state.or.us
Thu Jun 20 18:32:29 EDT 1996

I have installed the Excite free search engine(for Unix) from the Excite
page (http://www.excite.com). The installation worked okay and I even
created an index to search, but am unable to search it because of a
configuration that must be changed. In the installation, it says that the
default port for the server is 80 and that you may need to change it for
your own server. I have looked everywhere and tried many solutions but I
can't find the place to change that port, so the search form is still
looking at port 80, rather than the necessary port 8000.

I hope someone has some knowledge about this. It looks like a fairly good
search engine for a Unix machine (all OS), and I am curious if anyone is
using it.

Christopher Adams
Oregon State Library
chris at sparkie.osl.state.or.us