Do librarians need basic HTML capabilities? -Reply

Tom Tipsword TOM at wilbur.db.erau.edu
Wed Jun 19 13:50:04 EDT 1996

Haven't we about beaten this thread to death?     I fear that web4lib
may be undergoing a transition which I have seen all too often on
other library related lists.    The list starts with a relatively small number of
posts exchanging useful information among practitioners and then is
overwhelmed by lengthy discussions of what librarians should or
shouldn't be doing in the "Information Age".

I agree with Karen Schneider.  Some librarians need to know HTML, or
MARC, or whatever in varying degrees of detail, depending on their
actual work environment and/or interests.    I also suspect that most
of us could tell which group we fall into without thinking too hard.
One thing's certain, though -- if you aren't willing to learn and
adapt they're going to find your bleached bones along the trail.

For the record -- HTML isn't hard.  I teach the basics plus a few
tricks in about 90 minutes (See the following URL:
http://amelia.db.erau.edu/erug/tutorial/workshop.html   for an online
tutorial to HTML created in my shop.  You are free to use it or or
link to it, but please do not distribute it further without the
consent of the authors).   Creating HTML documents isn't hard
either.    You can do it by hand or use one of a multitude of
editors, converters, or publishers (I've tried a lot of them.  Mostly
they work ok.  They all seem to require at least a little human
intervention to get a really nice document.  Personally, I use vi on
a UNIX box for most of my HTML work. :> ).   What's hard is to design
your pages to convey your information effectively.    Despite the
tools available,  I don't see any way to get really good pages,
custom designed to fit your institution and your information, without having a
knowledgeable human around to do the work.

Anybody interested in a moderated list devoted solely to technical and
design issues involved in creating pages and running web servers in
libraries?   If so, I'd be willing to host one.

TNT

Tom Tipsword
Systems Manager, Hunt Memorial Library      vox:  904-226-6601
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University        fax:  904-226-6368
Daytona Beach, FL 32114

http://amelia.db.erau.edu/~tom/     tom at wilbur.db.erau.edu

"We need more fruitcakes in this world and less bakers." -- Jimmy
Buffet.