Staffing for Web management

Paula Garrett pgarrett at library.usyd.edu.au
Wed Jun 19 01:04:07 EDT 1996

We're trying to get an idea of how other libraries are handling staffing
and training issues related to Web management, development, coordination.

Below are some specific questions.  Please feel free to add any other
pertinent info.  I will summarise for the list if you send your replies
directly to me.

1.0  Your present staffing of positions related to Web content, development,
coordination, i.e:

--Number of full-time equivalents?
--Classification (librarian, library assistant, technical support)?
--Are their Web responsibilities listed in their job descriptions?

--A brief statement of their duties would be most useful.

--Please describe if positions have been created and/or restructured to
include Web-related duties.  Have Web duties replaced (or made
unnecessary or less of a priority) other duties?

--What is your ideal staffing level for Web-related needs?

2.0  Experience/Training Implications

--What "technical skills" are required to maintain a Web site e.g. cgi
scripting, Unix management etc?

--What other skills e.g. interface design, html authoring, content
organization, training, good communication skills, etc. have you
identified as necessary?

Many thanks,
Paula

Paula Garrett