Limiting Lynx to specific URLs -Reply -Reply

jkuntz at mhv.net jkuntz at mhv.net
Tue Jun 18 13:37:46 EDT 1996

First, I really appreciate the responses I've been getting to the dilemma
outlined in earlier messages: i.e. introducing web access in a situation
where there can be minimal increase in the number of workstations over what
already exists. Allow me to just give one more piece of background
information, then offer what may be a compromise that will satisfy the
library directors I'm working with.
	Many of the libraries currently have PPP accounts through one
workstation, but for on-demand access over multiple workstations, they
really need to be using networks, routers and dedicated lines. We already
have those in place for our automated system (Dynix), but the bandwidth of
the lines is limited and the vast majority of workstations are dumb
terminals. Hence the need for Lynx, and the need to multitask the terminals
to do both Internet access and PAC functions. Dynix's PAC software (the
character-based version) is structured so that we can not offer options on
some PACs but not on others, without paying for a second PAC account.
	That idea, i.e. a second PAC account, may offer a potential
solution. Because then we could devote some workstations just to PAC and
give other
workstations the option of PAC and LYNX, and it would be within the control
of each library to adjust what every terminal can deliver, and they could
change that configuration just by logging the terminals on and off to the
different accounts!
				Jerry Kuntz
				Ramapo Catskill Library System
				jkuntz at mhv.net