Monitoring/limiting of Web Usage

Alicia Abramson aabrams at american.edu
Tue Jun 18 11:06:35 EDT 1996

I am wondering how many libraries are doing this, or thinking of doing
this.  I've seen some product announcements and brief articles about how
this is being implemented more and more in corporations particularly as a
way to reduce the waste of time that websurfing can often lead to. I'm also
interested in what libraries' policies are for internet computing in
general, such as use of e-mail, ftp-ing etc.  I am thinking of policies that
include professional librarians and non-librarian staff in the library setting.

One question in particular I'm curious about is whether a case could be made
that this somehow infringes on academic freedom, in academic settings.

                             | Alicia Abramson        |
                             * Head, Library Systems  *
                             | American University    |
                             * (202) 885-3228         *