FW: Limiting Lynx to specific URLs -Reply

jkuntz at mhv.net jkuntz at mhv.net
Mon Jun 17 20:22:53 EDT 1996

	This is for public terminals, in a situation where the library
directors are dead set against wide open web access for fear that they will
never have enough workstations. (In fact, they may be underconfigured now in
terms of the number of regular PAC workstations!) I believe some of their
fear is justified.
	They concede that access to a gopher server would be acceptable,
since it is controllable. I tried to explain that being limited to a gopher
server would ignore a wealth of resources on the web; and if surfing was a
concern, maybe there would be a way to control that type of use.
	The idea of limiting people to a set amount of time seems to me to
be an even more impractical solution. It's been tried in public libraries,
and has resulted in fistfights.
	I'm open to any other constructive suggestions.

				Jerry Kuntz
				Ramapo Catskill Library System
				jkuntz at mhv.net