Limiting Lynx to specific URLs -Reply

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Jun 17 17:35:15 EDT 1996

The Sage of Boise wrote:

> 	For purposes having to do with the economics
> of supporting surfing  behavior rather than an
> impulse to censor, we would like to know if there is
> any way possible to implement a LYNX server so
> that it can reach only URLs  that we specify
> (500-2000, say?) and not follow other links from
> those  sites.
> ---------------------------------
> I have no idea, nor do I care, whether Lynx can be
> so configured.  I do, however, suggest you rethink
> things a bit.

I have to agree with Dan.  Not only is such a move difficult to reconcile
with most libraries' missions ("Here's a great information source--we're
only letting you use a tiny fraction of it"), but will inevitably:

  Leave your front line librarians open to user wrath

  Turn into a sinkhole for the time and energy of your public
    systems support people

  Generate a user perception that your library is run by control
    freaks, technophobes and/or net.ignoramuses who Just Don't
    Get It (try doing Internet BI once that perception sets in)

  AND (last but not least) fail in its goal.  I don't see this
    working.

Thomas Dowling                    \ tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Asst. Director, Client/Server Apps.\    614/728-3600 x326
OhioLINK                            \    FAX 614/728-3610