Printing from PC to UNIX

Dave Binkley binkley at sfu.ca
Wed Jun 12 11:37:46 EDT 1996

We currently allow users of our public workstations to print from
various applications (CD-ROMS, Kermit scripts, etc) to a file on the
Novell server, which they can then email, copy to floppy or send to a
shared printer.

We have never been happy with the performance and memory hit of Novell
CAPTURE and other printer reroute utilities.  For these adn other
reasons I would like to alter this process to print to a queue on a UNIX
box.  To this end we have been experimenting with Novell's LPR and RPR
programs.

Has anyone else had experience printing from a PC (in DOS or Windows) to
a UNIX print queue?  Any recommended utilities?

Many thanks,

Dave Binkley
Simon Fraser University
binkley at sfu.ca