windows and the public

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 7 08:42:08 EDT 1996

Elvio Pederzolli writes:

>However, if they minimize that main window or use the alt tab key stokes they
>will be able to see the icons for the undepinning programes that are running
>in the background - these programs drive our socket connections to our file
>severs and allow telnet acces to our UNIX machine that runs our INNOPAC
>software. They can then maliciously or accidently stop these programmes from
>running. This means that important parts of the network are disabled and
>require intervention from our hard pressed computer help desk staff.

We have solved this by using small WinBatch scripts to hide the icons, as
well as performing various other tasks. WinBatch is available from Wilson
WindowWare (http://www.windowware.com/). I have no connection with that
company other than as a satisfied customer of a useful product.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
Automation Help Desk
Memorial Library