Browser independence

Judith Edwards ucyljae at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 6 10:45:00 EDT 1996

>Well, I'm not sure how up to a "philosophical" debate I am, but in the net
>world that I have to design for, I have faculty and staff whose access to
>the Net ranges from the most current version of Netscape to Netscape 1.x
>to those whose only access is through Lynx.  The computers they use range
>from all powers of Mac and Pentiums to 286 PCs.
>
>So I try to design platform independently (using the Bare-Bones Guide
>quite faithfully).  If I wasn't able to do that, I'd try to provide an
>alternative for the lower-end users.  I've also found tricks like
>inserting info in a table with the <pre> tag will help it look nice in
>lynx. (See http://scholar.lib.utk.edu/netserv/staff.html)

I heartily agree. We've just had some statistics on accesses to our Web
server; Netscape (various versions) is of course first by a long way. But
the *next* most common access method is by Lynx. All the others (MS
Explorer, Mosaic etc. etc.) are a long way behind.

Judith
Judith Edwards, Assistant Librarian
University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Tel: 0171-380 7833    Fax: 0171-380 7373
e-mail: j.a.edwards at ucl.ac.uk
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Library/