Browser reading nonexistent code

Wilfred Drew drewwe at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu
Tue Jun 4 09:58:12 EDT 1996

Real Rodrigue wrote:

> Claudia Rebaza wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else had a problem with their browser insisting on reading a
> > coding error that has long since been corrected?  Last week I typed an
> > "a" instead of an "i" in </i> and the browser (Netscape) continues to
> > show the </a> in the document source even though this was corrected four
> > days ago.  A colleague here has run into the same problem before but we
> > don't know what causes it or how it can be corrected.  This error shows
> > up in more than one machine.

> I noticed this problem with NetScape 3.0b4. I managed to view my
> corrected HTML page by emptying the cache: even if I closed and reopened
> NetScape, the problem was still there. Emptying the cache solved it.

THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM OR A BUG!!!!!!  It is simply the way a cache works.  Please excuse
the shouting.  Clicking on reload may also show any changes you have made.  It is a very
good idea to clear the cache on Netscape from time to time anyway.  I set up the
autoexec.bat file on my PC to delete all the files in the netscape cache directory.  It
does require me to respond with y for yes but that is okay.

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902