losing ground

Karen Campbell kcampbel at seq.hamline.edu
Fri Jun 14 11:30:02 EDT 1996

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Sara Weissman/Morris Cty Library wrote:
>   For nearly *anything* new you want to try in a library, try this:
>   "We want to try this for six months...what are your concerns?" People
>   react less phobically to a trial than to what they might perceive,
>   correctly or not, as an edict.

At this week's National Educational Computing Conference, Wednesday's
keynote speaker, Garth Morgan of York University, addressed
organizational change.  His thesis supports Sara's experience.  He
suggests that rather than trying to change an organization, one should
identify the 15% of the organization that is receptive to change.  Then,
one should embark on a program of "permanent pilots".  That is, involve
the 15% who are interested in change in a series of pilots and accept
that this is the way change will happen.  Rather than announcing sweeping
arbitrary change, allow those who can effectively implement it to lead by
example.  It was in fact apparent in many of the sessions that an "each
one teach one" or "train the trainers" approach seems to be the most
universally effective means of implementing technological change.

I found this a very informative conference for anyone involved with staff
development in technology in academia.  There is a web page for the 1997
conference at http://ISTEonline.uoregon.edu/necc/necc97ca/neccall.htm

Karen Campbell	                           Bush Memorial Library
kcampbel at seq.hamline.edu	           Hamline University
(612)641-2482			           St. Paul, Minnesota
We are "web weavers and dancers at the dawn of the Meso-Electronic Period"
                                       ---Paul Evan Peters