"no hits" on retroconversion of catalog

Susan Rabe rabe at crlmail.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 14 10:09:08 EDT 1996

In Message Thu, 13 Jun 1996 06:03:47 -0700,
  hyeager at server.dwight.edu (Henry Yeager) writes:

We've just about finished the retroconversion of our catalog to MARC
records, but we're left with pages and pages of "no hits" from OCLC.  How
have others dealt with this? Do we do the cataloguing ourselves? Urgh! Do
we try to find an other company?  Is there a way to pick the information of
the Internet? We can't get anyone at OCLC to even talk to us about it.
Ideas, please, and thanks in advance.

Henry Yeager
Media Services
The Dwight School
291 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024

e-mail  hyeager at server.dwight.edu

Could you give a summary about the types of no hits you have?  Is there any
expertise required for the cataloging?  The answers about how others have
dealt with this vary greatly if you have 1940's U.S. imprints monographs
versus 1970's Malayalam monographs from India.   You might get OCLC Retrocon
to talk to you if you have this kind of information.
Susan M. Rabe
Collection Resources Bibliographer
Center for Research Libraries
6050 S. Kenwood Ave.