Windows for the Public: Enforced Exits

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Tue Jun 11 11:41:26 EDT 1996

One way to do this is to use a 3rd party menuing system.  Our library automation
vendor, CARL Corporation, has such a system that has an interface that covers the
entire desktop.  One can't get behind it without a password.  One can configure
buttons on it to launch desired software.  It comes with a driver that disables
system keys (ALT+TAB, CTRL+ALT+DEL, CTRL+ESC, CTRL+ALT+ESC), so that users cannot
use these keys to switch among apps.  If a user minimizes an application, the
screen goes blank (showing only the color of the desktop).  If they click on
the screen, it brings back the minimized app.  I believe that this collection
of characteristics should permit the running of only one application at a time,
forcing users to quit (and release license) to go to another.  The older version
does not offer the same protection if you launch a 3rd party app from within
another 3rd party app (e.g. telnetting from Mosaic).  A newer version might
handle this.

You might want to see if they will let you evaluate the product.  It is also the
launchpad for their proprietary catalog GUI.

As for securing DOS apps under Windows, that strikes me offhand as more
problematic.  You might need something more heavy-duty than the menuing system
I described.

Chuck

--- On Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:56:15 -0700  Bob Jones <bjones at unf.edu> wrote:

>Continuing Bruce R. Heimburger's "windows and the public" thread/question:
>
>Presently we are launching DOS and Windows apps from a network DOS menu
>system, but we want to move to the Windows 95 environment.  In Windows95
>is there a way to (en)force users to exit one application (and release the
>license in use) before launching another licensed application?
>
>Thanks.
>

>Bob Jones                                    mailto://bjones@unf.edu
>Head, Public Services Division and Systems Coordinator
>University of North Florida Library          http://www.unf.edu/library/
>P.O. Box 17605                               (904) 646-2552 (SC 861-2552)
>Jacksonville, FL  32245-7605                 FAX: (904) 646-2719

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

Chuck Bearden
Houston Public Library
cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us