bare bones design

Haigh Susan SSH at ITS.NLC-BNC.CA
Tue Jun 11 12:19:00 EDT 1996

Gary, Am I correct in assuming this adds to our argument for doing a Web
based Amicus search? Thanks, S.
 ----------
From: web4lib
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: bare bones design
Date: Monday, June 10, 1996 1:53PM

I proof my stuff on Lynx, Netscape, Mosaic and Explorer ..but have found
AOL browser the great common denominator. Since posting our page two
weeks ago, we have turned up a nasty little problem...lack of telnet
support is becoming increasingly common. AOL Mac has no telnet support;
PC only with added software and installation; WorldNet does not supply
telnet support at the outset; two other patrons had accounts with
smallish ISPs and had been provided only the Netscape1.2 Personal
browser, no telnet app. We are dealing with calls and e-mail telling
us the link to our catalog is "broken" ..and then trying to walk patrons
through what is telnet and why might they want it. Not only can you
not assume that everyone is on an ISDN line...you can't even assume
they can make basic connection types!