Browser independence

Joe Schallan jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us
Wed Jun 5 20:46:27 EDT 1996

We've all seen the ubiqitous "Enhanced for Netscape x" and
"Best viewed with Netscape x" messages.  Occasionally I've
encountered a contrarian webmaster who proudly proclaims
his/her site as being "browser-independent."  (Someone who
didn't get in early on the Netscape IPO??)

Just curious as to whether anyone out there has put together
a "cheat sheet" on which codes and features to restrict
yourself to, if your goal is a "browser-independent" site.
(And especially if your goal is to not maintain multiple versions
of your site.) Is browser independence just compliance with
a low-numbered HTML version, or is there more to it than that?

And, philosophically, is browser independence worth striving for?
I know my site doesn't look so great with Chameleon Websurfer,
but then how many people are using this browser?  Any comments
on the appropriate place at which to aim on the Great Chain of
Features?

Joe

Joe Schallan, MLS    jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us
Reference Librarian              Voice:
Glendale Public Library          (602)930-3555
5959 West Brown Street           Fax:
Glendale, AZ  85302-1248         (602)842-4209