Students use of search engines -Reply

Elisabeth Roche ace at Opus1.COM
Wed Jun 5 17:21:47 EDT 1996

Someone asked me last month what I thought about frames. I said, I don't
think I like them, everything's *way too organized*.

But I thought about what I had said, just what is it that is driving me
crazy about frames?

Besides the obvious problems trying to get around them.

Page I encountered, a company selling the ISP and WWW services, had an image
frame that was zoomed out I'd say, and the informational pages were
underneath it but their button to link was *just* out of reach of this
totally obscuring Image in a box, trying to "animate."

I was very bugged, there is something more to my dislike of frames than just
the heat.:))

I kept my eyes open to find out what was bothering me.

Might be everything is looking so much the same I can't stay awake.

?(~~ dear, can we rent a tape tonite? Maybe 84 Charing Cross Road?")?

Today! Illumination.

We didn't get a Sunday newspaper and that has the TV guide in it. So
guideless I turned on the cable tv listings to see what might be on in the
next hour.

I stood speechless as I watched the frame at the top run the action ads for
whatever show, and the endlessly scrolling, tedious, slow, list of channels
and their current status.

Look! The Jones Cable tv guide looks exactly like every page I've seen using
frames.

So, which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Phooey and "off with their heads."

Elisabeth Roche ace at opus1.com
serendipity RULES!

Next, "I don't see what I got." (They often just do not see the postings
on the screen--a kind of screen blindness effect.  The screens are highly
organized and THE MOST prominent thing is often an advertisement that
has, of course, nothing to do with the search, so they wonder aloud,
"what's this doing here?", and miss the postings.)