a few steps together

Vivienne Cuff Vivienne.Cuff at natlib.govt.nz
Wed Jun 5 16:51:06 EDT 1996

> To pick up on remarks of Nick Arnett and Gail Wanner, I think the goal is
> for librarians and techies to work together to make information products
> easy to use, with the details transparent to the user.

My 2c worth - I think we should include in any design team graphic,
information and user interface designers. These people also have a
long history of dealing with information to make it easy to use
etc.

In this day and age,  I think  librarians or technical people  don't
have a premium on how information is managed, made accessible etc. In
this age I really wonder what the core competency of librarians is -
you hear people say that librarians can help people navigate through a mass
of information etc. but that maybe because librarians created these
systems in the first place.

Anyway Paul Saffo sums it up in a 'Wired' article - It's the context...
http://www.hotwired.com/wired/2.03/departments/idees.fortes/context.html

Is subject classification, by Dewey & LCSH,  adequate as a means of providing context?

Also, I sometimes wonder if librarians could be accused of  media
imperialism - http://www.hotwired.com/wired/3.02/departments/electrosphere/
diller.html

I am not flaming anyone here but with what's happening on the
Internet and the Web,  in particular, it makes me really think again
about what a librarian is and their role - and this a question
I haven't come to any conclusion on!

BTW - I started my library career as a cataloguer!

Cheers

Vivienne

Vivienne Cuff
World Wide Web