Netscape for Windows home page quirk

Heath M Rezabek hrezabek at fiat.gslis.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 31 21:16:16 EDT 1996

Thomas Dowling wrote:

> 2, 4, 6, 8 - When in doubt, first validate!

:)  I couldn't agree more.  On that note, there's a validator out there
that deserves to be utterly famous and over-accessed into the ground.

The Kinder-Gentler Validator, at

http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~gerald/validate/

... It'lll walk you through *every step* of debugging your HTML with
suggestions and explanations of *why* it's running into problems,
pointing right up into your cited HTML straight to where the problem
occurred.  It's utterly free, utterly devoid of Corporate Sponsorship
Buttons, na dbest of all, when you fail to validate, you get a little
picture of Homer saying "D'oh!"  8)  ;)

By the way, don't get discouraged with the 90% likely first response
when you feed it your first URL; simple things like inserting proper
<!DOCTYPE..> into your HTML will become increasingly important as the
Browser Wars heat up and HTML splinters into myriad strains.  I myself
stick with W3C draft and standard DTDs exclusively, if I can help it;
there's a new draft version of HTML 3.2 codenamed "Cougar" that will
allow all the things MSIE and Ntscp tags have and much more.

Plus, really, this is stuff that we should just plain know about, as
librarians, charged with the longevity and preservation of the cultural
record.

                    The KGV Kinder Gentler Validator:
         It'll Change the Way you Look at HTML.  Forever.  [tm]

;)  :)

Heh.  I just might whip up a little icon for that, if I ever have the
time...

          Heath M Rezabek  hrezabek at gslis.utexas.edu

http://www.gslis.utexas.edu/~hrezabek/ndx.html
  GSLIS Masters Candidate  University of Texas at Austin
Technical Staff Assistant  Perry-Castaneda Library EIC
HTML Writers Guild Member  http://www.hwg.org/