Editing Netscape 2.02 in Windows 95 w/Borland C++ 5.0

Farris, Peter pfarris at sfghdean.ucsf.edu
Wed Jul 31 18:27:00 EDT 1996

I've also using Borland C++ 5.0 to edit Netscape Navigator 2.02 for
Win95, and ran into these problems. I've found a workaround for item 1,
by setting the bookmark file to "read-only"; users are able to add
bookmarks, but the bookmarks file reverts to the saved version when
Netscape is closed. I keep a copy of the bookmark file on my own hard
drive, though, just in case...

Regarding item 2, I decided to grey out the Windows menu completely. You
could, though, , not grey it out, and set your preferences for news and
not for mail. That would give access to news and not mail. You'd need to
grey out the Options menu, as well, and grey out items in the dialog
boxes related to sending mail and setting mail prefs. For what it's
worth, we allow users to send mail, but not to set prefs. And we make
certain not to allow Netscape mail to save the mail password!

Peter Farris
Information Services Librarian
Barnett-Briggs Medical Library
University of California, San Francisco