HTML text -making indents or tabs

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jul 31 15:09:13 EDT 1996

> Anyone know how to create indents or tabs in the text of HTML documents.
> The specific application we are working with is the conversion of
> municipal ordinances which in their original word processing text have
> lots of indents; many are in outline form.

Your best option, in terms of universal support, is probably <PRE>.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0b support [most of] the W3C proposal for
Cascading Style Sheets.  This would let you identify different classes of
paragraphs and identify indents and margins for each.  The problem is that
Netscape has made no move to support this standard (for which they are
currently taking a lot of heat); Netscape 3.0b5 instead includes support
for a new, proprietary <SPACER> tag.

> We use Hot Dog as an editor, and HTML Transit as the conversion tool.
The
> latter will not convert the space, including its new version.

There's no reason it should: multiple white space characters get collapsed
in HTML.

Thomas Dowling                    \ tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Asst. Director, Client/Server Apps.\    614/728-3600 x326
OhioLINK                            \    FAX 614/728-3610