Organizing Web Information

Temple Hoff temhof at mohave.lib.az.us
Wed Jul 17 18:42:30 EDT 1996

S. M. S. wrote:
>With all this discussion about how to organize web information, I've yet tosee any mention or discussion concerning OCLC's current project to catalog
the Web.

I hear from my catalogers constantly how poor the marc records are in OCLC in
comparison to LC or BiblioFile, how difficult it is to edit records within OCLC, how
awkward the interface is, how slow the connection it, and what a pain it is that when
they callup a record on OCLC that they have edited. They see the original and can't
get the edited copy they made.

>From my stand point as a technician, the OCLC drop-line is non-industry standard at
best and wreaks havoc on local Ethernet network configurations.  Uploading our data to
them is a nightmare because they can't accept our local made qic1000 tapes, but insist
on large weird tapes like one sees in old sci-fi films.  The OCLC Internet connection
is an improvement but is slow as a dog (we can reach Japan in a flash, but not OCLC),
and Passport for Windows is a Joke.  I almost cryed when we finally got it in just to
find out that OCLCs idea of a Windows Interface is a big window with the old dirty
line prompt inside of it.
	So, fogive me if I have some doubts about OCLC as the answer to organizing
the Internet.
Temple Hoff                  E-Mail:temhof at mohave.lib.az.us
Library Services Coordinator           Phone:(520) 692-5703
Mohave County Library District           Fax:(520) 692-5788