Organizing Web Information

Heath Rezabek hrezabek at fiat.gslis.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 17 14:44:10 EDT 1996

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Erik Jul wrote:

> The Web presents all manner of information to us through the same tiny window
> of our Web browser, and if we are not careful, we forget that the relative
> value of Internet resources can vary greatly.

True; however, imho, as web authors improve their craft and move past
both the "Gee Whiz" phase as well as the "Buy Me" phase, the
quality/craft of the material -- whatever the topic -- will improve.
Once it does and as it does, it behooves us to keep track of it & provide
access to it.  That also may mean tracking things now that aren't the
caliber they *will* be in 3 years.

> It seems obvious to me that the more we care about a resource (based on
> whatever criteria for valuation we use), the more effort (of whatever sort)
> we exert to ensure its safekeeping and efficient discovery, access, and use
> over time.

True.  Along those lines, nobody is saying that we can't focus our
efforts on generating virtual archives to serve specific *groups* and
*types* of patrons; but within those bounds, imho, everything seems
worthy of consideration, and tracking.

          Heath M Rezabek  hrezabek at gslis.utexas.edu
                           http://www.gslis.utexas.edu/~hrezabek/ndx.html
  GSLIS Masters Candidate  University of Texas at Austin
Technical Staff Assistant  Perry-Castaneda Library EIC
HTML Writers Guild Member  http://www.hwg.org/