Organizing Web Informat

marc at ckm.ucsf.edu marc at ckm.ucsf.edu
Wed Jul 17 11:42:34 EDT 1996

Quoting Clifford Lynch:
|As hardware becomes inexorably cheaper and more powerful, and as new
|ideas are generated, it seems likely we will see major progress in this area.

But the flow of and complexity of content are increasing at a rate close to
that of hardware speed.  I've learned to be skeptical of predictions that
hardware (r)evolutions will solve our problems.

But sociologically, with we in the US moving inexorably from an industrial
model towards an information economy, it would be desirable from several
standpoints to educate downsized or unemployable workers in basic indexing
techniques (perhaps a 2 yr AA degree would do the trick) so that categorizing
the flow of content (informotion) could be a productive alternative to
flipping burgers.

-marc