Internet filtering software -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Tue Jul 16 08:06:53 EDT 1996

The privacy screens are a TERRIFIC idea, on several counts:

1.  Patron privacy--why must public users, including those who cannot
afford access at home, be denied a right to privacy?  Or is privacy a class
privilege?

2.   Cost--most of the so-called "filtering" software requires updates to
keep it current.  They hook you, and there you are.  Plus the cost of
maintaining yet one more software package, versus a passive physical
device.

3. Flak-reduction--you can point to the screens and say, "no software can
do as good a job."  What can they say--"no, we'd rather look over
people's shoulders while they are working?"

I frankly could not do my job with software filters installed; they block
too many real words.  Physical filters seem to be a decent idea.  More
info on ordering, please--I'll bring them up next week, if I get a chance to
speak, at a local public-library hearing on censorship.

Karen G. Schneider
US EPA Region 2 Library
opinions mine alone