Internet filtering software

Harry Baker hbaker at ucla.edu
Mon Jul 15 22:51:57 EDT 1996

Excuse me if what I am going to say has been discussed on this list
before.  I am on multiple lists, and I mix up discussion threads from the
various lists.

I heard an interesting solution to this dilemma recently.  A library
somewhere has installed privacy screens on their public WWW browsing
terminals.  With these screens installed, only the person using the
computer is able to see what is on the monitor screens.  I was browsing
through a computer supply catalog today, and I noticed that these screens
cost about $100 each.  Expensive, but probably cheaper than the price of
the filtering software and staff time installing and troubleshooting the
software.  I would be thrilled to hear reasoning against this solution
for this problem.

Jay Baker
hbaker at ucla.edu
UCLA Department of Library and Information Science