Are you good people missing a point about MARC?

Jon Knight J.P.Knight at lut.ac.uk
Mon Jul 15 15:46:41 EDT 1996

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Marc Salomon wrote:
> This means that in order for two parties to reliably exchange data across a
> network, perhaps between two different flavors of computer, these INTERCHANGE
> FORMATS are used to ensure that a record on a source machine can be interpreted
> exectly the same on a target machine.  AACR-2 has nothing to do with
> transport--if its in MARC, then its exchangable.

It _might_ be exchangable but until recently there's been little
guarantee that the MARC used by one community (say the US's USMARC) will
be understandable to a system that uses a different "sort" of MARC (say
UKMARC or one of the more wacky vendor and/or national specific MARCs).
Unless people agree about what goes into the MARC records (which is what
AACR2 is partly about) then the ability to split up the binary record
structure doesn't exactly buy you very much if you don't know what to do
with the information inside it.

The merging of UKMARC and USMARC is helping out a little for us, but
there's still plenty of other MARCs out there.  Be careful!

Tatty bye,

Jim'll