HELP !!!

Linda Hyman lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu
Thu Jul 11 15:33:52 EDT 1996

*****Sorry for cross-posting*****

I've volunteered to testify at the National Commission on Libraries and
Information Science  hearing to be held here in San Diego, CA  (USA) July
22, 1996.  I have about ten days to prepare (yikes!).  This hearing will be
held in conjunction with the Interactive Services Association (a nonprofit
organization representing more than 300 companies) annual conference.   I
would like to get some help and opinions on policy implications related to
libraries' use of interactive and online information services.  I couldn't
possibly reproduce  all of the ideas and expertise available on these
listservs.  So I hope that if anyone has any burning issues,
recommendations, comments, advice, gripes, etc you will feel free to send
them along.  I will sort them into logical groups  (perhaps using some of
your e-mail messages as direct quotes if you don't mind), and present them
to the panel.   Please help me.

Here is a paragraph from one of the NCLIS documents:

>The  NCLIS hearing will focus on challenges and opportunities facing
>libraries and the >interactive services industry in the rapidly changing
>field of information services.  >NCLIS is interested in testimony from the
>interactive services industry and from >representatives of all types of
>libraries about the policy implications of libraries offering >access to
>interactive services.  The topics that we expect hearing participants to
>address >include libraries use of copyrighted works through online
>services, the impact of recent >telecommunications law revisions which
>call for universal service offerings for schools >and libraries, and the
>impact of network security, data protection and encryption on >library use
>of interactive services.

Thanks in advance.

Linda Woods Hyman-Education First Initiative
Pacific Bell/San Diego State University
Dept. of Educational Technology
San Diego  CA  92182  (619) 594-4414
e-mail:  lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu