Something Missing

Temple Hoff temhof at mohave.lib.az.us
Wed Jul 10 15:57:32 EDT 1996

Just some thoughts you sparked

I couldn't agree more with your intent, however:

I have been training the masses in libraries and schools, and working with techie types for many years, and
I've come to the conclusion that there are more than two types of users. For instance:

Educated? - These users have degrees, Masters, Doctorates etc. hanging on there wall and yet they can't look at
a button with a picture of a printer and the word "Print" on it and logically deduce it's purpose.  Its seems
in all their schooling, someone forgot to teach them how to experiment, explore with wonder, i.e. LEARN!

Pretty colors! - This type has a hard time understanding the relationship between the movement of the mouse and
the movement of the little arrow on the screen.  But, they do usually catch on fast and have enough of an
imagination to make the intuitive leap from a paper clip symbol on a button, to the buttons possible use.  Most
important to the learning process though, they have fun!

Shell Shock! - These users grew-up in the age of atomic threat and heard to often of a magical button that
would blow-up the world.  They now live in fear that any button on the keyboard or mouse just might be that
evil button.  Some people recover from this disorder, and some retire.

Wow! - 4 or 40, heck 80 years old, Phd or preschooler, some people get wide-eyed at the first glace at a
computer, especially one connected to the web, and emmediately want to know everything.  They tend to ask
questions enthusiastically, "how do I ..." rather than complaining pesimistically, "it won't...", "I can't make
it..." etc.  These users sometimes become techies, but even when they don't, they always get the most out their
on-line experience.

As for "adapting the Internet to the people", as you mentioned, I disagree.  You can't please them all.
If your make it simple enough for the Pretty colors! and Educated? users (which may not even be possible)and
safe enough for the Shell Shock! users, you run the risk of taking the excitment out of it for the Wow! users
(techies create their own excitement).  Archie was pretty simple, but not too exciting.  It's the Wow! users I
want to protect.  The web is also the biggest expression of art and individualism ever. Art is not always
simple and individualism rarely is either.  I would hate to stifle the artists by simplifying their pallete.

You seemed to be implying that the dunderhead users have been forgotten in the development of the Internet.
Before the web, masses of information where availible via ftp, archie, etc.  The Educated? users where only
interested in content and wanted the techies do the work for them, the pretty colors! had no interest at all,
the shell shock! where still shell shocked, and the Wow! users were strictly techies in training, and the
techies where happy because they could do things no one else could.  The web itself was not created to speedup
access to information, or make retrieval more efficient.  It was made to make things easier for the users (and
to allow techies to express their creative genius).  The Web has made the same information accessible, just in
prettier, easier ways.  I mean come on!  Any easier is just plain lazy!

Sigh, deep breath.

I guess there really are two kinds of users.  Those who want to be users and those who don't.  Those who do
want to be user will figure out what the little evelope button does even if it means actually clicking it; and
those who don't want to be users will never get it no matter how easy you make it, how many times you show
them, or even if you put the keyboard on their T.V. remote control.  If it can't be done with the power or
channel up and down buttons, forget it.

As for the local/community/metropolitan/regional digital library concept, I absolutely could not agree more.  I
am actively nudging our library ever-so-slowly in that direction (there's alot of shell shock! out there!)  It
will happen here, there, and everywhere, even, I'm afraid, on my T.V. remote.

Just some thoughts.
Temple Hoff                  E-Mail:temhof at mohave.lib.az.us
Library Services Coordinator           Phone:(520) 692-5703
Mohave County Library District           Fax:(520) 692-5788