Removing "Network" Button from Windows

Anna Trupiano annat at palos-verdes.lib.ca.us
Fri Jul 5 13:45:03 EDT 1996

This message is going to all three list-servers, where I posted my
original request for help on restricting modifications to the CD-ROM
tower...

Dale of Western Oregon State College suggested replacing the version
of Window's COMMDLG.DLL file (in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM subdirectory) with
an older version in order to remove the Network button entirely.  So I
pulled out our old version of Windows 3.1 (stand-alone) and renamed the
current version with a different extension, and copied the COMMDLG.DLL
file (dated 3/10/92) to the directory.  I tested all our CD products, and
they are working fine (the Print Setup is still there, but the Network
button is gone; patrons cannot exit to DOS, relink a different printer,
send messages, etc).  Thanks Dale for your quick and easy solution.

Eric of California State University, Northridge suggested picking up a
copy of a Windows Resource Editor (which I've also done, and plan to take
a look at restricting some of the other menu options that creates minor
problems), which will allow us to "read-in" (or decompile) executable code,
and modify the coding of either executable files or dynamic link library
files, and then save the rources back to the original binary file.  I've
had to purchase a C++ Compiler in order to get the "Resource Editor"; but
Borland and Microsoft both sell these highly useful products.

Also, many poeple have suggested looking into security products, such as
IKIOSK (download-able from  http://www.hypertec.com/ ) and Fortres... and
I have downloaded IKIOSK but I have not had a chance to look into it's
features yet.

Thank you all for your responses!!!!
Anna Trupiano			annat at palos-verdes.lib.ca.us
Systems Administrator