Result of web limitation query

Chip Barnett cbarnett at leo.vsla.edu
Tue Jul 2 07:28:34 EDT 1996

Thanks very much to all who responded to my question about
whether and how to limit student access to the Internet from
within schools.  In addition to referrals to other sources (Jon
Katz' article in July's Wired and the school library/media
listserv LM_NET), several people commented on both the principal
and practice of using an "approved" list of sites.  The opinions
were unanimous against an approved list.  Of the three school
respondents, two use no filtering at all (neither approved list
nor denied list), but instead rely on an acceptable use policy.
The third uses Surfwatch (with success), along with general
computer usage guidelines.  Still another person even faxed me a
sample "Rules for Online Safety" form.

Happily, I think we've put out the brush fire here, killing the
notion of using an approved list.  Thanks again for your help.
--
Chip Barnett (cbarnett at leo.vsla.edu)	Rockbridge Regional Library
(540) 463-4324				138 S. Main St.