Organizing Web Information -Reply -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Thu Jul 18 11:19:22 EDT 1996

>>> KAREN SCHNEIDER
<SCHNEIDER.KAREN at epamail.epa.gov> 07/18/96 08:08am

In my head, I keep returning to old Z39.50.  It hasn't caught
on the way it would need to, but the idea of searching
distributed databases through a common interface needs to
be explored and revisited.  After all, if Marc and I each
maintain our e-catalogs, and we're compliant with *a*
standard, then we can point to each other's resources
through an interface that makes sense to our communities.
This also gives us the structured, access-point searching we
need, and gives us the local catalog valuable to our users.
------------------
The mechanism exists now, and it isn't Z39.50.  It exists on
the web now, though without any formal "structure" or
"imprimatur" of OCLC or LC or ALA or anyone else.  Dozens
or hundreds of librarians have already developed guides to
specialized corners of the resources of the web.  One that
doesn't relate JUST to cows comes to mind, as do some that
a colleague has done at http://www.idbsu.edu/carol/ as well
as many others.  Not all of these are searchable yet, but if
they were, then access to one of the meta-search-engines
would handle it.  Of course for most folks going directly to the
one(s) that cover their subject interests would be more
effective and efficient anyway.

Many of these current resources have been developed by
individuals, but some have been developed collectively.  As
more of them are developed I expect to see further
cooperation, mergers, etc, that will lead to further refinement
and improvement.

I'm not suggesting that this currently developing network of
guides to web resources is the final answer or the only
answer, but it seems to be pretty effective at the moment.
Many library pages refer to such collections at other sites so
that each library doesn't need to "reinvent the bibliography" (I
have as much trouble typing webliography as I do
mediography...must be my ancient jeans or genes).

cyclops

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.