assigning temporary IP addresses to laptops

rwallis at nypl.org rwallis at nypl.org
Tue Jul 9 16:22:01 EDT 1996

I just ran across this thread from May, and thought that there might be readers
who would be interested in another solution.

The problem with DHCP is that the user's machine must have a DHCP-ready client,
which can be found in Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95, or Macs running Open
Transport.  Wishing to accomodate as broad a range of users as possible, I
implemented a BootP server running DHCP enhancements, using an old Macintosh
IIcx with freeware NetBSD for the Mac.  The enhanced BootP software is also
freeware.  Both are downloadable from the Web.  I did need to get help from
someone with more Unix background than I in doing the configuration.  He also
set up a cron utility to wipe out the bootptab file every night, as BootP
assignments don't expire the way that DHCP does.

For users who don't have an Ethernet adapter, we set up a terminal server and
require the users to have a PPP client.  The client gets its IP configuration
from the server.  We built cables to provide direct serial port access for the
users, eliminating the need for modems.  It's worked well so far (about 3
months).

Hope this helps.  If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me.

Roberta Wallis
New York Public Library
rwallis at nypl.org