anatomy of a netscam

Anne Callery anne at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 13:10:57 EDT 1996

Hi all -- I'm not in advertising here at Yahoo!, but I can explain a
little about advertising opportunities...  It is entirely possible for an
advertiser to buy a word and have their ad come up at the top of the
search results page for that word.  For an example of that type of ad,
just enter a search for "flowers" and see what ad is displayed at the top
of the search results page.  I don't know exactly what words the company
in question may have bought; I tried a few and they came up consistently
for the word "republican".  These ads are regular banner ads like the
ones purchased on regular Yahoo! pages.

But, I really don't understand what the big deal is.  To anyone who has
ever used Yahoo!, it is obviously an ad.  Even to somone who has never
been to Yahoo! before, enters a search, and views the search results
page, it should be pretty obvious that the ad is set apart from the search
results.  It's in a little colored box and it sits above the line that
tells how many matches were found, followed by sections with matching
categories and sites.

I don't want to pick apart the article (Dan Lester already did a good job
at that), but the overall tone seemed a little hysterical and, as in so
many articles about search engines, web directories, et al., he doesn't
seem to know his subject very well...

Anne Callery                  Yahoo!                 anne at yahoo.com