Z39.50 vs. graphical interface

Chip Barnett cbarnett at leo.vsla.edu
Thu Jul 4 12:40:24 EDT 1996

The subject of Z39.50 and the Web has been discussed here before
(and I've read what's in the archives), but I have a question that
I haven't seen addressed before.  My public library is in the
process of setting up our own Web server; one of our primary goals
is to make our Gaylord GALAXY OPAC accessible to the outside world.
We're also committed to Z39.50, and had planned to buy Gaylord's
Z39.50 server software.  The problem is that we can't afford to buy
both that and Gaylord's SuperBROWSE/OPAC software, which would
provide a graphical interface for Web browsers.  (The two pieces of
software cost about the same.)

Our plan was to put a telnet link on our home page, which would
establish a telnet connection to our OPAC.  It would be a clunky
text interface, but that's all we have inside the library anyway,
and at least the functionality would be there.  However, I just
learned that Netscape doesn't support telnet.  It's been suggested
that we could add a link that would allow a user to download free
telnet agent software; once they've configured it properly, they
could telnet to our OPAC.  But I find it hard to believe that the
casual user would take the time and effort to fool with the
downloading and configuring, and I don't want to limit our OPAC
only to power users.

So I have two questions: 1) How have other libraries dealt with
this problem?  2) Which is more important: getting the Z39.50
server or making our OPAC compatible with graphical browsers?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
--
Chip Barnett (cbarnett at leo.vsla.edu)	Rockbridge Regional Library
(540) 463-4324				138 S. Main St.