Re Automating CGI access transactions...

Ernest Perez, Oregon State Library perez at OPAC.OSL.STATE.OR.US
Mon Jan 29 17:18:18 EST 1996

Subj:     Re: Automating CGI logons - clarification & further question

Our environment  is that we have licensed databases and services which have
heretofore run under Lynx (hosted session) control.  Some would be telnet, but
others would be under a Webbed Forms interface.  We want to secure access, yet
make it easy for authorized, passworded, users.  Ergo, I'd prefer such a user to
only have to input his/her username & password once for a given session.

I've seen this kind of thing out on the net, where you enter access codes once,
and can then conduct an "authorized access" session via the Web interface.
E.g., NLIGHTN.  [This despite the fact that HTTP is a "connectionless protocol"]

With these systems, I infer that a user inputs authorized username & password,
and that the system then assigns a temporary access clearance to allow access
from the originating IP.  ??

Can anyone provide info or reference to someone who's doing this kind of thing
with WebStar & Applesearch?