slow windows httpd server & now, LINUX

Alicia D. Abramson AABRAMS at american.edu
Fri Jan 26 08:35:47 EST 1996

First, thanks to everyone who responded to my question.  This is a
very helpful list!

Anyway, I'm getting the picture that we probably don't want to run
our server on Windows 3.1.  I'm interested in the Linux option but
I've got the impression that it's really a pretty labor intensive
proposition (I know there are a lot of LINUX enthusiasts out there
who are really crazy about it, but I don't plan on staying up until
3AM here at the library playing with it as I do have one or two other
responsibilities.  Can anyone point me to some good resources on
implementing LINUX that are user friendly?  I do have a good amount
of UNIX experience, but not at the adminstrative level, so I'm not
completely ignorant...

P.S.  I did inherit the Web server and my original preference would
have been UNIX too.

> Date:          Thu, 25 Jan 1996 17:10:38 -0800
> From:          wenbing at statcan.ca (Bing Wen)
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject:       Re: slow windows httpd server

> We have two web servers running on two LANs which, for security
> reasons, are hard wired not to cross path with each other.
>
> On LAN A, we run Website on an NT box (486DX2/66 with 16 MB RAM).
> On LAN B, we run httpd on a Linux box (486DX2/66 with 16 MB RAM).
>
> The home pages (the top level pages) on both servers are identical:
> the same background, the same logo and the same navigation bar.
>
> But it takes noticeably longer time to get the first page pull up
> on netscape on LAN A than on LAN B.
>
> --
> BTW, does anyone know of (or had any experience with) comparing an
> NT-based server with a Unix-based server on the same hardware?
> Just curious ...

                             | Alicia Abramson        |
                             * Head, Library Systems  *
                             | American University    |