'official' versions of university documents

Karen G. Schneider kgs at interactive.net
Wed Jan 24 23:37:49 EST 1996

>Gary had a good point about an "official university catalogs."  If you are
>on a web committee, remind your guys that most universities have a rule
>that a student's graduation requirements are based on those stated in the
>official catalog when the student *started* a program.  I'd say that offical
>paper copies with dates on them are ABSOLUTELY essential.
 ^^^^^
 ^^^^^

>Ilene Frank, Reference Dept.

Ilene, though I think your reiteration of the value of preserving older
catalogs is well-taken, and others' comments about the problems of old
links, etc. are valid, but why is paper the canonical, "official" medium?
And regardless of the reason, is this specified in policy--which should
also help 20 years hence when librarians are trying to remember "which was
the preserved format, paper or electronic?"

Karen G. Schneider * kgs at intac.com * kgs at interactive.net *
http://www.intac.com/~kgs/
Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries
Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
Karen's Kitchen reopening soon at a URL near you!