Equations editor in Word and HTML

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Wed Jan 24 14:52:48 EST 1996

I think this is tangentially related at best.  This is (for now) a TrueType
font with Unicode support.  I'm pretty sure that Bitstream will be able
to make a Type 1 version for people without TrueType support, but
I don't think they can magically transport the web to a Unicode future.
I also don't think they can by themselves bring Microsoft's <font face=...>
attribute into wider use.

There's a nice paper on the issue of supporting non-Western character
sets on the web.  It's called Character Set Considered Harmful and it's at
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/charset-harmful.html

(If the graphic on Bitstream's page is Cyberbit, it looks like it'll be worth
the download, even if it doesn't solve the world's problems.  Note that
the italic and bold versions are not automatically going to be free.)

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu