Microsoft Explorer for Windows 3.1 -- a subjective evaluati

Brian Kelly b.kelly at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 12:05:38 EST 1996

> Date:          Tue, 23 Jan 1996 16:52:26 -0800
> From:          "Wilfred (Bill) Drew" <drewwe at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject:       Microsoft Explorer for Windows 3.1 -- a subjective evaluation

> I just downloaded Microsoft Internet Explorer.  Don't waste your time. It
> is a real dog especially when compared to Netscpae 2.0.  Explorer is also
> a beta release but has very few features when compared to Netscape.
>
> I admire Microsoft but wonder why they don't license Netscape and develop
> add-ons instead of trying to re-invent the wheel.

Hi Bill,
    It was interesting to read your comments about Microsoft's
Internet Explorer.  I have written a brief review of the software
for the Ariadne online library journal which is available at the URL:

http://ukoln.bath.ac.uk/ariadne/issue1/brian/intro.html

The review includes some screen images of the software.

I agree that Netscape is probably better today.  However given
Microsoft's control of the desktop and their announcements of
new Internet tools (such as the Internet Studio authoring tools)
I think the position might be very different in a year's time.

My 2p's worth.

Brian Kelly
Brian Kelly
Netskills         - see http://www.netskills.ac.uk/
Computing Service
University of Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne        B.Kelly at newcastle.ac.uk
NE1 7RU                    0191 222 5002