'official' versions of university documents

Gary Fouty g-fout at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed Jan 24 09:28:29 EST 1996

I think Dr. Richardson's observations are right on the mark with regard to
whether the Web or printed version is 'official'.  From a reference
librarian's point of view I would like to add one point.  As we move toward
dynamic documents in a networked environment we need to think also of the
archival function.  I am not infrequently asked at our reference desk for
copies of long out-dated college catalogs.  Usually this comes from
individuals applying to another school who need an exact description of the
course they took many years ago in order to receive credit for the work.  It
is up to us librarians and archivists to ensure that this sort of
information is not lost in the rush to revise and update electronic docuemnts.
Gary Fouty                              (612)-624-1851
108 Walter Library                      g-fout at tc.umn.edu
117 Pleasant St. S.E. #108
Minneapolis MN 55455