Equations Editor...

Brian Kelly b.kelly at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Jan 23 04:09:56 EST 1996

> Date:          Mon, 22 Jan 1996 13:01:26 -0800
> From:          "Alexander, Larry" <lalexander at acad.com>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject:       RE: Equations Editor...

> Lesley,
>
> Unfortunately, HTML is not as robust as SGML and cannot handle equations.
> This is due to a combination of special font display and character
> placement problems.

I don't think this is correct.  HTML *is* SGML - or more correctly,
HTML is an SGML DTD (Document Type Definition).
The DTD for HTML 1 and 2 did not include support for equations.
The DTD for HTML 3 does support maths.  The problem is that not many
browsers support maths - the only exception I know of is the Arena
browser for X windows.  This is due to a lack of interest by the
browser developers - not font display or character placement
problems.  I suggest that anyone interested in maths, contact the
developer of their favourite browser and lobby them to implement
maths support.

Regards

Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly
Netskills         - see http://www.netskills.ac.uk/
Computing Service
University of Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne        B.Kelly at newcastle.ac.uk
NE1 7RU                    0191 222 5002