Official versions of university information

Joanna Richardson richardj at kowande.Bond.edu.au
Tue Jan 23 15:23:26 EST 1996

Susan,

Since that first moment at my university when we looked at putting up
on our web server material from our university catalog (or handbook, as
it is known in Australia), we realized that eventually much of the material
for the catalog / calendar should be generated from our web pages,
not the other way around.

While both the printed (catalog) and web material are "official", in
point of fact the web material is more "accurate".  But that, of course,
is logical because we are talking here about two very different media /
delivery mechanisms.

Furthermore there is no intention that the web pages should be a "mere
reflection" of the printed material.  Because one is not constrained by
paper limitations (space + cost), Schools have been able to expand in
their web pages on various programs, degrees, etc. in a way that would
not be feasible in the *traditional* printed catalog/handbook.

I would think that your committee should stop worrying about which is the
"official" version:  they both are!  It's just that they are produced on
different time continuums.  Instead accept that there will have to be an
annual (printed) catalog for those people who do not have web access. But
don't focus on it.  Put the energies into your web pages because
increasingly more high school and (other) university students do have
access and will read your pages.

Good luck.

Dr. Joanna Richardson                 e-mail:  richardj at bond.edu.au
Information Technology Librarian
Bond University			'phone: +617 55 951401 (07) 55-951401
Gold Coast QLD 4229	           fax: +617 55 951536 (07) 55-951536
AUSTRALIA http://www.bond.edu.au/Bond/Library/People/jpr/Welcome.html
Normal disclaimers apply