More user-satisfaction through electroni

Mittrowann, Andreas, Z-Stift MIT02 at desti151.bertelsmann.de
Fri Jan 19 17:37:00 EST 1996

Some time ago I asked for support for a new project here
in Germany dealing with the introduction of electronic media
in some public libraries we - the Bertelsmann Foundation
(non-profit-branch)  - are funding.
I was so happy getting so many and interesting answers.

Now, as things become clearer, I have some specific questions to all
of you who are working in public libraries and are involved in the
business of CD-ROM, Internet, Online-Services, Software etc.

1. IMHO public libraries should put their focus on the user/customer.
The consequence of this idea is that a library is undertaking a kind
of market- and user-research *before* it starts introducing e-media.
Focus: What kind of e-media do people want? What kind of e-media
and new services do library-users want? Has anyone out there done
a thing like this and what results did you get?

2. Has any public library gained knowledge (in the form of hard facts)
if the users are more content with the service of the library *after* the
introduction of e-media? Did you win new users? Did you win users
who were "lost" (passive) back?

3. As we all know, training is essential in the whole process of keeping
a library really alive and of course for keeping the staff-members in a
professional state of knowledge.
What kind of training programs did you design for electronic media?
Did you hire a company, special trainers, first trained some and then all
staff-members etc.?

4. About Children-/Youth-Sections: Any special programs/services
for Children/Youth/YA in the field of electronic media?
Any new concepts?

I would be very glad if somebody had some answers!

Please mail directly to andreas.mittrowann at bertelsmann.de

Thanks to all of you!

Andreas

Andreas Mittrowann