PURLs

Nick Arnett narnett at Verity.COM
Sun Jan 7 18:59:58 EST 1996

>Question:
>If the whole world, or a large part of it, started using PURLS, wouldn't the
>PURL servers become hopelessly overloaded? Isn't this a strong argument
>against PURLs?

The same could be said of DNS services... ;-)  Clearly, the Internet's
distributed nature allows large systems of this sort to be supported.

However, as Vianne Sha asked, why is this being proposed in addition to the
URN/URC work that's been underway for quite a while?  I'm a bit surprised
that the announcement didn't even acknowledge that work.  They should at
least be coordinated so that they are compatible.

Nick