PURLs

Jon Knight J.P.Knight at lut.ac.uk
Sun Jan 7 07:11:07 EST 1996

On Sat, 6 Jan 1996, The Big Glee Bopper wrote:
> Only change is nickel -> silver, but if everyone who is interested in
> ThomsImportantDoc is using http://www.indiana.edu/lurl/ThomsImportantDoc
> then there are no changes outside.

I hate to be a spoil-sport, but lots of sites have been doing this sort
of thing for ages using DNS CNAMEs.  For example, www.lut.ac.uk (aka
info.lut.ac.uk) has actually passed through several machines over time.
The URLs remain the same though (assuming they're still there at all,
which I don't thing PURLs address - if a resource is removed the PURL
doesn't point to anything just like the "real" URL).  We've done the same
thing for our project machines so that current www.roads.lut.ac.uk points
to my workstation, weeble.lut.ac.uk, but in the future it might point to
a completely different machine elsewhere in the network.

Personally, I don't thing persistance is going to be achieved easily
without electronic holding libraries.  Even URCs/URNs don't _guarantee_
persistance.

Jon