AusWeb96, Gold Coast, July '96 - Quick Update (1/96)

Roger Debreceny rdebrece at scu.edu.au
Wed Jan 31 15:30:11 EST 1996

UPDATE ON AUSWEB96 - THE PREMIER AUSTRALIAN WORLD WIDE WEB CONFERENCE IN 1996
AusWeb96 will be held at Conrad Jupiters hotel on the Gold Coast just south
of Brisbane, Queensland on 7 to 9 July 1996. AusWeb96 will have keynotes,
full refereed papers, posters, workshops, special interest group meetings,
a physical and virtual product exhibtion and a host of other opportunities
to interact. Submission of full refereed papers close on 1 March, just a
little over a month away. You can find details on how to submit papers and
on all other aspects of the conference at our home page at
<http://www.scu.edu.au/ausweb96/> or you can email the AusWeb96 team at
<ausweb96 at scu.edu.au>.

THE CONFERENCE KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
The key elements of the main conference and workshops are largely in place.
The  keynote speakers at AusWeb96 are:

o   Bill Arms, Corporation for National Research Initiatives, Washington, DC
    "Information provision, digital libraries and the World Wide Web"
o   Nick Arnett, Verity, Inc., Mountain View, California
    "Massively Parallel Wetware"
o   Evan Arthur, Department of Employment, Education and Training, Canberra
    "The Education Network Australia Initiative - Progress to date"
o   Hermann Maurer, Graz University of Technology, Graz, Austria
    "On Second Generation WWW Systems"
o   Jim Miller, W3 Consortium, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    "The World Wide Web Consortium: Helping the Web Move Forward"
o   Nancy Rhine, Director of Womens Programming for America OnLine and
Founder,
    Women's Wire "Building Communities of Women on the Web"
o   Arie Segev, University of California at Berkeley "The impact of the
    World Wide Web WWW on Electronic Commerce"

WORKSHOPS
A full range of workshops are being presented at AusWeb96. Here is the
final list:
Full Day Saturday 6 July
    K12 Education and the Web (Continues on Sunday) **
        Bill Taylor, Somerset College
    Using Hypertext Methods in Web Authoring
        Bebo White, Stanford Linear Accelerator Centre, Stanford University
    ISDN and the Web
        Alan Taylor, John Moores University, UK
    The Web, Enterprise and Regional Development
        Geoff Meredith, Southern Cross University
    Web Page Publishing in HTML **
        Bond University
    Advanced Java Programming **
        Bond University
Half Day - Saturday Morning 6 July
    Interfacing Databases and the Web
        Adrian Vanzyl, Monash Medical
    Advanced Browsing with Netscape 2.0 **
        Bond University
    Interfacing the Web and Administrative Systems
        Chris McGovern, Griffith University
Half Day - Saturday Afternoon 6 July
    Copyright and the Web
        Michael Lean, Queensland University of Technology
    Virtual Reality Markup Language
        Meagan Smith, InfoWeb
    Advanced Browsing with Netscape 2.0 **
        Bond University
Half Day - Sunday Morning 7 July
    Advanced Web Site Management
        Hermann Maurer, Graz University
    CGI programming in Perl **
        Bond University
    Searching the Net **
        Linda Rouse, Housley
    Overview of Java Programming **
        Bond University
Full Day - Wednesday
    Higher Education Staff Development Seminar
        Martin Hayden, Southern Cross University
** Hands On

BROCHURE
A new AusWeb96 brochure has been printed with full details of the
conference. If you would like copies please email Julie Burton or Joanne
McMurtry at <ausweb96 at scu.edu.au>.

REGISTRATION
With AusWeb95 having sold out many potential attendees are concerned that
AusWeb96 will also sell out. The first registrations and cheques have
already been received. One university has advised that 10 of their staff
will be attending and would we please reserve them places? We've chosen
what we hope is a large enough venue to accommodate all that wish to come
but there will be a limit. We are now taking registrations. Email to
<ausweb96 at scu.edu.au> for details.

Millions of Web users will *not* get to AusWeb96 - don't be one of them -
Register Now!

WEB SITE AND MAILING LIST
As well as our home site at <http://www.scu.edu.au/ausweb96/> we also
more information on the conference including details of the various
competitions that we'll be running (in the most recent update we gave
details of a competition to win a bottle of Penfolds Grange Hermitage - the
best red wine in the world! <g>). You can subscribe either through the
online registration form at our Web site or by sending an email to
<listproc at scu.edu.au> with the text
<subscribe ausweb-l your_first_name your_surname>. Traffic will be a couple
of emails per month between now and the conference.

Or just email to <ausweb96 at scu.edu.au>.

Roger Debreceny
on behalf of the AusWeb96 team .. Allan Ellis, Julie Burton, Joanne
McMurtry and our theme editors.

Roger Debreceny,                | Email: rdebrece at scu.edu.au
Director, ANet, Intl Acctg N'wrk| AusWeb96, 2nd Australian Web Conference
Southern Cross University, Aust | 7-9 July '96, Gold Coast, Queensland
On sabbatical at Haas School of | See => http://www.scu.edu.au/ausweb96/
Business, UC Berkeley, CA 94720 | Phone: (510) 526 7218