New List: WebCat-L (fwd)

The Big Glee Bopper thom at indiana.edu
Sun Jan 28 22:58:30 EST 1996

On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, Vivienne Cuff wrote:

> > System developers need to hear from the library community (both librarians
> > and their users) about what a WebCat should look like.  We need to hear
> > from each other.  I've looked for a list server or news group dedicated to
> > such discussion, and it appears that there is none.
>
> I support Jeff's comments.  In addition, I think that the library
> community and users would also benefit from vendors including in
> their development teams user interface designers/graphic and
> information designers who have experience in Web design .

I agree with both Jeff and Vivienne but you need to add another group in
there, the ultimate users, the folks _without_ library/info degrees or
training, the folks who just want to fix their drum brakes or bake a
quiche. When we were doing the public web project with the Monroe County
Public Library it became apparent quickly because we tested almost
everything with paper prototypes that what the group took for granted
while on Indiana University's campus was not taken for granted or even
understood by the drum brake/quiche folks. Things like opac, catalog, and
even reference weren't understood as _terms_ which meant they had to go
in the structural design we developed before we coded the web site. We
spent 14 weeks on the prototyping, testing, and evaluating before we
coded anything. The coding and taging is actually very easy once you have
something which works.

I bring this up because one of the obvious problems with most _current_
opac design is that they are actually designed as if the technical service
folks are the _main_ users. The reason for this is that opacs were
originally designed for technical service folks. If you look at the
evolution of gladis and melvyl at Berkeley this pops right out. The past
can be a real drag just ask Xerox -- after reading "Fumbling the Future".
The problem with a term like a _webcat_ is that the histo/techno reference
is a little too strong dragging along a particular mind set. I'd suggest
calling these things _billibongs_ or maybe _gleeBoppers_ just for the
helluvit to free up the twillywits of thoughtful design.

--Thom